Giuseppe Spagnulo (Grottaglie, Taranto, 1936 - Milan, 2016) owes his first training to the job in the ceramic's workshop of his father, where he also assimilates the lathe's tecnique.
    After having finished his studies in the art school of his hometown, he went to the Faenza ceramics institute where he was a pupil of Angelo Biancini and a friend of Carlo Zauli and Nanni Valentini, with whom he shared a strong poetic affinity. In 1959 he moved to Milan and followed courses at the Brera Academy. Here he came into contact with Tancredi and Piero Manzoni; he then became an assistant to Lucio Fontana and Arnaldo Pomodoro. Through Fontana and Manzoni, he became aware of the Informale ceramic developments in Albisola, at the time a cultural extension of Milan. To this period are to be assigned the small stoneware sculptures that he exhibited in his first solo show in 1965. Spagnulo took part in the 1968 protests, symbolised in his first works in metal. These "large iron pieces" exploited the geometrical and constructive logic of the material they were forged from, and they introduce us to the artist's thoughts about the physicality and material aspects of the sculptor's work.
    The series Archeologia and Paesaggi date from the 1970s; they were created for his show in the Newport Harbor Art Museum in 1977, and highlight the attention he gave to the conceptual and performative processes of art, and to the idea of horizontal sculpture. In 1982 he revived his interest in ceramic materials and techniques, and constructed the gigantic lathe which was to evolve into the imposing Turris. At the end of the 1980s he returned to the theme of his Ferri spezzati, Broken iron, as was to be seen in Campo sospeso, which was installed in Castel Burio in Piedmont. At the beginning of the 1990s he was made professor of sculpture at the Stuttgart academy of art; this followed the success his work had had in German galleries and museums. In 2000 he was awarded the "Premio Faenza" for his career, and he also won the Milan international street furnishing competition for his imposing steel sculpture Scogliere, which was installed in front of the Teatro degli Arcimboldi at the start of 2002. In 2005 his solo show E se venisse un colpo di vento? was held in the Peggy Guggenheim Collection, Venice, while in the following year the exhibition Omaggio a Giuseppe Spagnulo was held as part of the 24th Gubbio Biennale. In 2007 he won the competition for a monument to the victims of the Nassiriya massacre with his large-scale sculpture La Foresta d'Acciaio, which was erected in Rome.